When it comes to supplements aimed at improving the health and appearance of the hair, skin, and nails, you a lot of options. So many so that the choice can be overwhelming and you don’t necessarily know which products and brands you can trust.
In this article, we review Vitafusion’s Gorgeous Hair, Skin & Nails Multivitamin, which made our list of The Top 5 Best Vitamins for Hair, Skin and Nails.
You’ll find this product’s ingredients, its potential health benefits, its pros and cons and our opinion on it.
Product Ingredients/Supplement Facts & Potential Health Benefits
- 35 Calories
- 7 Grams Total Carbohydrate (3% Daily Value)
- 6 Grams Total Sugars
- Includes 6 Grams Added Sugars (12% Daily Value)
- 720 mcg of Vitamin A (as Retinyl Palmitate) (80% Daily Value)
- Vitamin plays many very important roles in the human body. Vitamin A is essential for your eyesight and makes up part of a healthy immune system. The most relevant health benefit of vitamin A relating to the hair, skin, and nails is that getting enough vitamin A reduces your risk of developing acne.
- 90 mg of Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid) (100% Daily Value)
- Vitamin C is an antioxidant that lowers the risk of certain diseases and strengthens the immune system. Vitamin C may benefit the skin in direct and indirect ways. Oregon State University states that “the antioxidant properties of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and its role in collagen synthesis make vitamin C a vital molecule for skin health”. Vitamin C also plays a role in reducing sun damage of the skin by fighting against free radicals.
- 25 mcg of Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol) (125% Daily Value)
- Some studies indicate that certain forms of vitamin D may play a role in preventing acne. (1)
- 15 mg of Vitamin E (as dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate) (100% Daily Value)
- Vitamin E is important for the body in many ways, one of which is for the skin. Having healthy hair depends on having a healthy scalp—and that having healthy skin, so vitamin E’s positive effects on the skin could be passed on to the hair. Because vitamin E is an antioxidant, it could protect the scalp from oxidative stress, which can result in hair loss. (2) One small study found that participants who received a vitamin E supplement showed increased hair growth compared to a placebo group. (3)
- 4.3 mg of Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCI) (253% Daily Value)
- Vitamin B6 is important and has several health benefits, but doesn’t have direct benefits for the hair, skin, or nails.
- 200 mcg of Folate (50% Daily Value)
- One study found a correlation between prematurely graying people and folate deficiency. (4) However, more study needs to be done on this topic to understand it better.
- 9 mcg of Vitamin B12 (375% Daily Value)
- 5,000 mcg of Biotin (16,667% Daily Value)
- Biotin’s role in the hair, skin, and nails is not entirely clear. What is known is that biotin strengthens keratin, a protein that makes up the hair, skin, and nails. Additionally, biotin deficiency can lead to side effects such as dry/scaly skin, skin rashes, brittle hair, and hair loss.
- 3 mg of Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium d-Pantothenate) (60% Daily Value)
- Pantothenic acid may help stop the hair from thinning. (7) It may also improve the appearance of and add volume to the hair. It may help provide relief from acne.
- 120 mcg of Iodine (as Potassium Iodide) (80% Daily Value)
- 7.5 mg of Zinc (as Zinc Gluconate) (68% Daily Value)
Other ingredients: glucose syrup, sugar, water, gelatin; less than 2% of: blend of oils (coconut and/or palm) with beeswax and/or carnauba wax; citric acid, color (purple carrot juice concentrate), lactic acid, and natural flavor. Contains: tree nuts (coconut). Processed in a facility with products that contain egg, fish, shellfish, soy, and tree nuts.
This product is similar to some other supplements intended for the hair, skin, and nails in that a few of its ingredients likely do help, some ingredients that may help, and some ingredients that seem to be totally unrelated and leave you wondering why they were included.
Dosage & When to Take It
The serving size for this supplement is 3 gummies. There are 45 servings per bottle.
|Contains the most common known ingredients that have the potential to improve the health and appearance of the hair, skin, and nails||Contains gelatin, meaning it’s not vegan-friendly|
|Gluten-free||Some consumers report that they believed this supplement caused them to break out|
|No high fructose corn syrup|
|No artificial flavors|
|Received ChefsBest award for taste|
If you’re looking for a hair, skin, and nails supplement that comes in gummy form,
Vitafusion’s Gorgeous Hair, Skin & Nails Multivitamin is a good option.
It contains most of the over-the-counter ingredients that may benefit the health of the hair, skin, and nails. It’s also a plus that it tastes great and comes in gummies, as their much easier on the stomach than some other hair, skin, and nails vitamins.Sources