Finding the Most Effective Multivitamin
At USA Consumer Report we have recently been getting a huge number of requests for us to review the classic dietary supplement staple: multivitamins.
As one of the longest studied and used dietary supplements on the market, the sheer amount of information available was staggering. We set our team of researchers to work gathering the data, finding out what goes into an effective multivitamin.
What they found was actually pretty shocking.
Our initial survey found an impressive amount of positive reviews from everyday people using Turmeric Curcumin supplements. But with so many different brands, we decided it was time to perform a comprehensive review.
Our Research Approach
First, we test each product ourselves to make sure that each product contains exactly the ingredients that it promises. Then, we survey thousands of people who have used these products over time so we can understand the full experience users had with these products and their results. Lastly, we took a close look at online marketplaces like Amazon and Ebay to see what actual customers were saying about each specific brand.
We then combined all these factors so we could give complete and comprehensive reviews on the best Multivitamin supplement products available today.
Key Review Factors
Potency: For a Multivitamin supplement to be effective, it has to not only meet the recommended daily values for the vitamins it does contain, it also has to have a vitamin complex which addresses as many potential nutrient deficiencies as possible. Lastly, multivitamin supplements which filled their capsules or tablets with as much of the active ingredients as possible were rewarded with higher scores in this category. Because, simply put, those supplements offer more ‘bang-for-their-buck’.
BEWARE OF LOW GRADE MULTIVITAMINS Many companies try and cut corners by filling their capsules and tablets with useless and sometimes harmful fillers. A multivitamin must have at least 90% of their capsule or tablet filled with their active ingredient, not some useless filler, in order to receive a high score.
Price: We combed through thousands of reviews from online marketplaces to determine which had the most top rated reviews so we could assess which products really work. You want a company with an established reputation. If they don’t have positive reviews, avoid buying from them.
Customer Service: The quality of a company’s customer service can mean the difference between a seamless, pleasant buying experience and an absolute nightmare. You don’t want to get stuck with a company that doesn’t treat their customers with respect. Unless you’re one of the lucky few who always has things go their way, stick to companies with a solid reputation of quality customer service.
Guarantee: It is important to find a company who has a “no hassle” money-back guarantee. You don’t want to be wasting your time arguing with a company that won’t let you return a product that is not working for you. If a company won’t stand behind their product with a 90-Day Money Back Guarantee, take that as a red flag.
Over 752 consumers voted Dr. Tobias Multivitamin (Note: this product is now called Dr Tobias Adult Multivitamin) as their number one choice of Multivitamin Supplement. We believe this brand can deliver the results you need. This multivitamin contains a complete spectrum of vitamins with the health benefits of 42 different Natural RAW Fruits & Vegetables; no synthetic ingredients, cheap filler, binders and artificial colors. All purchases are are backed by a solid Risk Free 100% Money Back Guarantee.
- Vegan and non-GMO formula; A blend of 42 fruits and vegetables
- Formulated with plant-based enzymes and probiotics
- Supports heart health, bones and 4 systems; Immune system, digestive system, hormone system and nervous system
- Helps decrease stress
- Manufactured in the USA
Centrum Adult Multivitamin came in second. Centrum is a well-known India-based company with a good reputation for quality dietary supplements. However, there was one minor concern: Although Centrum’s multivitamin did contain high levels of their active ingredients, the multivitamin complex itself was not as complete as we would’ve like to see. Still, for the vitamins it does offer Centrum is a top-quality product.
- 200 count bottle of Centrum Adult Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement with Antioxidants, Zinc and B Vitamins
- Daily multivitamin for adults, formulated to help fill nutritional gaps and support your energy, immunity and metabolism
- Contains Centrum's highest levels of Vitamin D3, a preferred form of Vitamin D
- Adult vitamins formulated with iron, zinc and vitamins B, C, D and E
- Multivitamins for adults available in easy-to-take tablet form
Nature’s Way Alive! Multivitamin came in 3rd place. What we like about this product is that it took a much more natural approach to providing your body with essential nutrients. Whereas other products on this list used extracts, concentrates, or even synthetic material – Nature’s Way instead chose to encapsulate the natural veggies and fruits that contain those vitamins. While this means slightly less active ingredient per capsule, due to roughage density, it also means that Nature’s way contains fiber and other healthy goodies that many other multivitamins do not.
- MULTIVITAMIN: Alive! multivitamin for adults contains a diversity of daily essentials, greens, phytonutrients and antioxidants Vitamins A, C, and E
- Premium B-Vitamins: Featuring the active form of B12 (methylcobalamin) and folate (L-Methylfolate) to help convert food into energy
- FOOD-BASED: Premium formula blends Orchard FruitsTM, Garden VeggiesTM, Daily GreensTM, and nutrients to support bone health, daily energy, eye health, heart health, and immune health (600 mg per serving)*
- ANTIOXIDANTS: Daily vitamin contains antioxidants of Vitamin C, Vitamin E, beta carotene, and selenium. Gluten free
- SERVING SIZE: Adults take 3 tablets daily, preferably with food; Includes one bottle with 180 alive vitamins *These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Nature Made’s Multivitamin came in fourth. This multivitamin scored consistently above-average across the board, with a nutrient complex more focused on vitamins necessary for healthy brain, bone, and joint function. What you’re left with is a solid multivitamin which may be more effective for those with fatigue and bone or joint pain, but less of a general-health supplement.
- For a limited time, you may receive either bottle while we update our packaging. Both have the same great product inside. Based on new FDA regulations, you may also notice a change in the unit of measure and/or daily value for certain products.
- Contains a 130-day supply of Nature Made Multivitamin Complete Tablets with Iron, 130 tablets per bottle.
- Provides 23 key nutrients for daily nutritional support. Made with vitamin D3 and iron.
- Adults, take 1 tablet daily with water and a meal.
- These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Muscletech’s Multivitamin came in 5th place. Although the average score may be lower than other products on this list, if you are looking for a multivitamin to support a rigorous and active lifestyle – this should be your choice. This vitamin complex was obviously created with the goal of maintaining healthy joint mobility and promoting tissue repair (such as from a workout) in mind. Couple that with a high consumer satisfaction rating and effective levels of the active ingredients, and it’s clear why Muscletech made it in our Top 5.
- Scientifically designed daily multivitamin: Platinum multivitamin is a complete, advanced multivitamin complex designed for bodybuilders, active individuals and elite athletes
- High potency vitamins and minerals to replenish after workout: Engineered to deliver 18 vitamins and minerals, including 100 percentage or more of your daily requirements for vitamins A, C, D, E, B6 and B12
- Advanced amino acid, energy and muscle support: Supplies key amino acids, alpha lipoic acid (ala), arginine and citrulline, while also providing a herbal matrix formulated with green tea, saw palmetto, ginseng, echinacea, ginkgo and green coffee bean extract
- Fully disclosed formula: Platinum multivitamin discloses all ingredients and dosages, so you know exactly what you’re putting into your body
- Tested for quality and purity: Team muscletech ensures only the highest quality, pure, HPLC tested creatine manufactured by one of the world’s largest producers
P.S. Even though these are the best multivitamins we have found, we would still love to hear about other multivitamins that you have tried! If you have had a great experience with a multivitamin that we did not cover in this article, let us know!
Author and Senior Editor