Finding the Most Effective Omega 3
At USA Consumer Report we have recently been getting a huge number of requests for us to review the newest supplement craze to sweep the nation, Omega 3, which many nutritionists, doctors, and scientists have actually called “life-changing.” The buzz all began when a famous Daytime TV Doctor started praising Omega 3, an essential fatty acid found in seafood and some plants, for being a pure and natural way to not only improve joint health, but also serve as a mood booster, pain reducer, anti-depressant, and triglyceride reducer. With claims like that we felt it was time for us to investigate.
Our initial survey found an impressive amount of positive reviews from everyday people using Omega 3 supplements. But with so many different brands, we decided it was time to perform a comprehensive review.
Our Research Approach
First, we test each product ourselves to make sure that each product contains exactly the ingredients that it promises. Then, we survey thousands of people who have used these products over time so we can understand the full experience users had with these products and their results. Lastly, we took a close look at online marketplaces like Amazon and Ebay to see what actual customers were saying about each specific brand.
We then combined all these factors so we could give complete and comprehensive reviews on the best Omega 3 supplement products available today.
Key Review Factors
Potency: For an Omega 3 supplement to be effective, it has to have at least 1,000 mg of Omega Fatty Acids, containing Omega 3 and 6 plus a purity rating at least 95% for increased absorption.
BEWARE OF LOW GRADE OMEGA Many companies try and cut corners by using cheap synthetic oils to fill their softgels. An Omega brand must have a daily dosage of 1,000 mg and contain Omega 3 and 6 along with a 95% purity rating to aid in absorption.
Price: We combed through thousands of reviews from online marketplaces to determine which had the most top rated reviews so we could assess which products really work. You want a company with an established reputation. If they don’t have positive reviews, avoid buying from them.
Customer Service: The quality of a company’s customer service can mean the difference between a seamless, pleasant buying experience and an absolute nightmare. You don’t want to get stuck with a company that doesn’t treat their customers with respect. Unless you’re one of the lucky few who always has things go their way, stick to companies with a solid reputation of quality customer service.
Guarantee: It is important to find a company who has a “no hassle” money-back guarantee. You don’t want to be wasting your time arguing with a company that won’t let you return a product that is not working for you. If a company won’t stand behind their product with a 90-Day Money Back Guarantee, take that as a red flag.
Nutrigold Triple Strength Fish Oil Omega 3 Gold is an exceptional fish oil supplement beyond what we could have asked for. By using a unique technique — molecular distillation — Nutrigold has filtered out more impurities than previously imagined possible and presented us with an amazing product.
With a USA based company and a good return policy, you can rely on these guys for solid customer service. Their fish oil is sustainably sourced and they follow proper procedures to ensure fresh encapsulation.
- The gold standard in premium Omega-3 fish oil supplements. Made with IFOS 5-star Certified fish oil.
- Just one serving of two softgels per day provides 2, 100 mg of pure omega-3s in highly absorbable triglyceride form.
- Advanced molecular distillation guarantees exceptional purity and potency. Third party tested and certified free of mercury, dioxins, PCBs, and toxins.
- Contains 180 Softgels per bottle. Each serving contains 2, 600 mg of pharmaceutical-grade fish oil with highly concentrated omega-3s 1, 450 EPA, 550 DHA, and 100 other omega-3s.
Our second choice for a fish oil supplement was Optim-Nutrition Alaskan Fish Oil. This excellent US based company uses the standard responsibly-sourced Alaskan Fish Oil to create a wonderful Omega 3 supplement.
The only reason we didn’t award them first place is that their supplement is only available through third-party retailers, such as Amazon.com or HiHealth.com . This isn’t the best customer service option, as it makes returns more complicated.
Viva Naturals Triple Strength Omega 3 Fish Oil came in third. Viva Naturals is a great company with an excellent reputation, both for customer service and for their cleanly-sourced supplements. We typically see them rated much higher, but in this case they fell just below the standard.
- Triple-Strength Fish Oil – Get 3x More Omega-3 Fish Oil Per Serving - Unlike other wild fish oil pills, we concentrate our pharmaceutical grade fish oil without the use of heat or chemicals. The result is a triple strength omega 3 fish oil supplement of exceptional quality and potency. Each serving delivers 3X more omega-3s per serving than you would get with many leading supplements. Each daily serving provides you 2,200 mg of fish oil, including 1,400 mg of EPA and 480 mg of DHA.
NOW Foods Ultra Omega 3 Fish Oil came in fourth. We appreciate the affordability and accessibility of this product, and feel that it is unparalleled in its quality per price ratio. NOW Foods is a great company and this is available from multiple online and in-person retailers.
We did see a few complaints about a fishy aftertaste, which might be a bit of a buzz-kill for some people. Most reviews reported the product was effective, which is the result we like to see.
- SMALL, EASY TO SWALLOW: With 180 EPA / 120 DHA per two softgels!
- MOLECULARLY DISTILLED: This natural fish oil concentrate is manufactured under strict quality control standards. It is tested to be free of potentially harmful levels of contaminants.
- CLASSIFICATIONS/CERTIFICATIONS: Halal, Keto Friendly, Non-GMO
- GMP Quality Assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the NOW manufacturing process has been examined, including our laboratory/testing methods (for stability, potency, and product formulation).
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968.
Nordic Naturals Omega 3 is an excellent supplement and only came in 5th because of its low potency. That low potency comes at a low price, however, so it would be easy enough to double up on the dose and just buy twice as much as you need.
- WHY OMEGA-3S - Research shows that the essential fatty acids EPA & DHA in fish oil support heart, brain, eye & immune health. Omega-3s may also help support a healthy mood.
- DOCTOR-RECOMMENDED FORMULA - Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega features high concentration omega-3 fish oil in soft gels. This formula meets the daily recommended dose suggested by the American Heart Association to support a healthy heart.
- BETTER ABSORPTION, BETTER TASTE, NO FISHY BURPS - All of our omega-3 fish oil concentrates are in the triglyceride molecular form (the form naturally found in fish) for optimal absorption. Ultimate Omega has a great lemon taste.
- PURITY GUARANTEED - Every batch of Nordic Naturals fish oil is crafted from fresh, wild-caught, omega-rich fish. We are committed to using only non-GMO, gluten- & dairy-free ingredients with no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
- ETHICAL INNOVATION - Nordic Naturals has always been at the forefront of sustainable & ethical practices in the natural products industry. Through science & innovation, we are committed to delivering safe, effective nutrients for optimal wellness.
P.S. Even though NutriGold is the best Omega 3 we have found, we would still love to hear about other Omega 3 Supplements that you have tried! If you have had a great experience with a Omega 3 supplement that we did not cover in this article, let us know!
Author and Senior Editor