Finding the Most Effective Omega 3
At USA Consumer Report we have recently been getting a huge number of requests for us to review the newest supplement craze to sweep the nation, Omega 3, which many nutritionists, doctors, and scientists have actually called “life-changing.” The buzz all began when a famous Daytime TV Doctor started praising Omega 3, an essential fatty acid found in seafood and some plants, for being a pure and natural way to not only improve joint health, but also serve as a mood booster, pain reducer, anti-depressant, and triglyceride reducer. With claims like that we felt it was time for us to investigate.
Our initial survey found an impressive amount of positive reviews from everyday people using Omega 3 supplements. But with so many different brands, we decided it was time to perform a comprehensive review.
Our Research Approach
First, we test each product ourselves to make sure that each product contains exactly the ingredients that it promises. Then, we survey thousands of people who have used these products over time so we can understand the full experience users had with these products and their results. Lastly, we took a close look at online marketplaces like Amazon and Ebay to see what actual customers were saying about each specific brand.
We then combined all these factors so we could give complete and comprehensive reviews on the best Omega 3 supplement products available today.
Key Review Factors
Potency: For an Omega 3 supplement to be effective, it has to have at least 1,000 mg of Omega Fatty Acids, containing Omega 3 and 6 plus a purity rating at least 95% for increased absorption.
BEWARE OF LOW GRADE OMEGA Many companies try and cut corners by using cheap synthetic oils to fill their softgels. An Omega brand must have a daily dosage of 1,000 mg and contain Omega 3 and 6 along with a 95% purity rating to aid in absorption.
Price: We combed through thousands of reviews from online marketplaces to determine which had the most top rated reviews so we could assess which products really work. You want a company with an established reputation. If they don’t have positive reviews, avoid buying from them.
Customer Service: The quality of a company’s customer service can mean the difference between a seamless, pleasant buying experience and an absolute nightmare. You don’t want to get stuck with a company that doesn’t treat their customers with respect. Unless you’re one of the lucky few who always has things go their way, stick to companies with a solid reputation of quality customer service.
Guarantee: It is important to find a company who has a “no hassle” money-back guarantee. You don’t want to be wasting your time arguing with a company that won’t let you return a product that is not working for you. If a company won’t stand behind their product with a 90-Day Money Back Guarantee, take that as a red flag.
Nutrigold Triple Strength Fish Oil Omega 3 Gold is an exceptional fish oil supplement beyond what we could have asked for. By using a unique technique — molecular distillation — Nutrigold has filtered out more impurities than previously imagined possible and presented us with an amazing product.
With a USA based company and a good return policy, you can rely on these guys for solid customer service. Their fish oil is sustainably sourced and they follow proper procedures to ensure fresh encapsulation.
- The gold standard in premium Omega-3 fish oil supplements. Made with IFOS 5-star Certified fish oil.
- Just one serving of two softgels per day provides 2, 100 mg of pure omega-3s in highly absorbable triglyceride form.
- Advanced molecular distillation guarantees exceptional purity and potency. Third party tested and certified free of mercury, dioxins, PCBs, and toxins.
- Contains 180 Softgels per bottle. Each serving contains 2, 600 mg of pharmaceutical-grade fish oil with highly concentrated omega-3s (1, 450 EPA, 550 DHA, and 100 other omega-3s).
Our second choice for a fish oil supplement was Optim-Nutrition Alaskan Fish Oil. This excellent US based company uses the standard responsibly-sourced Alaskan Fish Oil to create a wonderful Omega 3 supplement.
The only reason we didn’t award them first place is that their supplement is only available through third-party retailers, such as Amazon.com or HiHealth.com . This isn’t the best customer service option, as it makes returns more complicated.
Viva Naturals Triple Strength Omega 3 Fish Oil came in third. Viva Naturals is a great company with an excellent reputation, both for customer service and for their cleanly-sourced supplements. We typically see them rated much higher, but in this case they fell just below the standard.
- TRIPLE-STRENGTH FISH OIL – GET 3X MORE OMEGA-3 FISH OIL PER SERVING – Unlike other wild fish oil pills, we concentrate our pharmaceutical grade fish oil without the use of heat or chemicals. The result is a triple strength omega 3 fish oil supplement of exceptional quality and potency. Each serving delivers 3X more omega-3s per serving than you would get with many leading supplements. Each daily serving provides you 2,200 mg of fish oil, including 1,400 mg of EPA and 480 mg of DHA.
- PHARMACEUTICAL GRADE OMEGA3 FISH OIL CAPSULES WITH SUPERIOR ABSORPTION* – When shopping for the best omega3 supplements, concentration matters. Our triple strength fish oil supplement provides a 2,200 mg of pure EPA fish oil, with 1,400 mg of EPA, and 480 mg of DHA. Inferior fish oil capsules use ethyl ester omega-3s. Our DHA EPA are delivered in triglyceride form, which is proven to be a superior, and better-absorbed form of omega-3s.* This means you get the most out of every serving.
- SUPPORTS MEMORY FUNCTION, BRAIN HEALTH + HEART & EYE HEALTH* – Omega3 fish oil capsules could be the one supplement you’ve been looking for to help keep your heart healthy, help maintain healthy eyes, and supply your brain with essential fatty acids EPA DHA.* A recent clinical study has shown that taking fish oil supplements can help support age-related memory function. If you’re going to choose one supplement to add to your self-care routine, this is it.
- NO FISHY AFTERTASTE OR FISH BURPS – Forget about the fishy aftertaste or smell of inferior quality fish oils, and say “so long” to fish burps! Our pharmaceutical grade omega oil is purified using molecular distillation to remove heavy metals, PCBs, and other toxins. It’s light, ultra-clean, and easy to swallow, making it a simple and convenient way to get your daily dose of heart and brain-loving omega-3s. No fish burps!
- IFOS CERTIFIED PURE & MONEY BACK GUARANTEE – We use small fish, and our extraction method carefully strips away harmful PCBs, toxins, and heavy metals from our fishoil omega 3. Each batch certified for purity by the International Fish Oil Standards Program, and highly ranked by Labdoor for premium quality. We’re so confident in our fish oil that we offer a money-back guarantee. If you don’t agree that it’s among the purest and best fish oil supplements, simply return it for a full refund.
NOW Foods Ultra Omega 3 Fish Oil came in fourth. We appreciate the affordability and accessibility of this product, and feel that it is unparalleled in its quality per price ratio. NOW Foods is a great company and this is available from multiple online and in-person retailers.
We did see a few complaints about a fishy aftertaste, which might be a bit of a buzz-kill for some people. Most reviews reported the product was effective, which is the result we like to see.
- SMALL, EASY TO SWALLOW: With 180 EPA / 120 DHA per two softgels!
- MOLECULARLY DISTILLED: This natural fish oil concentrate is manufactured under strict quality control standards. It is tested to be free of potentially harmful levels of contaminants.
- CLASSIFICATIONS/CERTIFICATIONS: Halal, Keto Friendly, Non-GMO
- GMP Quality Assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the NOW manufacturing process has been examined, including our laboratory/testing methods (for stability, potency, and product formulation).
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968.
Nordic Naturals Omega 3 is an excellent supplement and only came in 5th because of its low potency. That low potency comes at a low price, however, so it would be easy enough to double up on the dose and just buy twice as much as you need.
- THE BENEFITS OF OMEGA-3 - Omega-3s are fatty acids found in fish oil. These essential fats include EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) and have been shown to support overall wellness, including heart, brain, joint, eye, and mood health. Research has shown Omega-3 products to support healthy glucose levels, healthy lipid levels in professional athletes, bronchial health, and support the body's ability to respond to stress in a healthy way.*
- ULTIMATE FORMULA GIVES OPTIMAL RESULTS - Nordic Naturals' most popular concentrate, Ultimate Omega contains 1280 mg of omega-3s per serving. Just one serving of Ultimate Omega exceeds the daily recommended dose suggested by the American Heart Association and has been shown to support a healthy heart. Each serving delivers concentrated EPA and DHA in true triglyceride form for optimal absorption.* Without solicitation, doctors and researchers worldwide choose and recommend this powerful formula.
- BEST ABSORPTION FOR OPTIMUM RESULTS - Our omega-3 fish oil concentrates come in the triglyceride molecular form, which is the form naturally found in fish and the one your body most easily absorbs. Unlike other brands that use a synthetic fat, ethyl ester, our triglyceride formula ensures optimal absorption.* You will also love the lemon taste! Our fish oils are burpless, with no fishy smell or aftertaste.
- WILD CAUGHT AND SUSTAINABLY SOURCED - Nordic Naturals has always been at the forefront of sustainable and ethical practices in the natural products industry. Since our founding, we have been committed to using only non-GMO ingredients. Nordic Naturals products are also gluten- and dairy-free with no artificial colors or preservatives. Every batch of Nordic Naturals fish oil is crafted from wild-caught, omega-rich fish from the freshest catch to create quality supplements.
- CONTINUED INNOVATION AND ENDURING VALUES - Nordic Naturals incorporates ethical and socially responsible practices with regard to the environment, corporate transparency, philanthropic partnerships, and education. Our continued innovation is proof that when values are aligned with action, great things can happen. Nordic Naturals carries many Omega products including fish oil supplements and multivitamins. Through science and innovation, we are committed to delivering safe, effective omega oils.
P.S. Even though NutriGold is the best Omega 3 we have found, we would still love to hear about other Omega 3 Supplements that you have tried! If you have had a great experience with a Omega 3 supplement that we did not cover in this article, let us know!
Author and Senior Editor