Interested in improving your health with an herbal supplement like ashwagandha?
If so, it’s great that you want to improve your health but it’s important to do your research before putting a new supplement into your body.
We’ve done the research on ashwagandha in general and found the best ashwagandha supplements on the market to make your search easier.
In this article, you’ll find ashwagandha’s health benefits, the best ashwagandha supplements, how we determined the best supplements, and our take on ashwagandha and the best ashwagandha supplement we recommend taking.
DailyNutra’s KSM-66 Ashwagandha is the best overall ashwagandha supplement being sold right now in our opinion.
It has 600mg of organic ashwagandha, which is basically the ideal amount. It also contains 3mg of BioPerine®, a form of black pepper that increases absorption of supplements.
To round it out, the supplement is delivered via vegetarian capsules.
Just do be aware that this supplement contains milk due to the manufacturing process used.
- HIGH CONCENTRATION EXTRACT: KSM-66 Ashwagandha is extracted using a patented method that ensures all the active constituents of the plant are maintained. This makes DailyNutra’s Ashwagandha one of the most effective forms of Ashwagandha on the market. This full-spectrum root extract contains 5% Withanolides, the highest concentration of root-only Ashwagandha extract available, providing at least 30mg withanolides per serving.
- PROVIDES SAFE AND NATURAL STRESS RELIEF: Ashwagandha is an adaptogenic herb that is clinically shown in human studies to support healthy stress levels by reducing the stress hormone cortisol. This calming supplement, which is also demonstrated to support thyroid and hormone balancing, is safe and has no side effects. Each capsule contains a 600mg clinical dose of KSM-66 Ashwagandha.
- IMPROVED ENERGY AND STAMINA: KSM-66 Ashwagandha is clinically shown to boost athletic performance by increasing cardiorespiratory endurance (VO2 max), muscle growth, and strength during physical training. It also helps tired muscles to recover quicker by providing them with natural stress relief.
- ALL-NATURAL FORMULA, BACKED BY SCIENCE: Our supplements are made in the USA in an inspected facility. They are blends of premium, high-potency, plant-based extracts and are vegetarian and gluten-free, as well as completely free of any fillers, preservatives, or synthetics.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Most people have great success with our products, but if for any reason you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, simply return it within 60 days for a full refund. Please use for at least 2 weeks for best results.
For a high potency ashwagandha supplement, we recommend Purely Holistic Ashwagandha.
This supplement contains 1300mg of organic ashwagandha root powder. Like many ashwagandha supplements, it contains a black pepper extract for better absorption.
This supplement comes in vegetable capsules so it’s vegetarian and vegan-friendly. It does contain rice flour, which is a harmless excipient that plays a functional role in supplements but doesn’t add any nutritional value.
A serving size of this supplement is two capsules. A bottle contains 90 servings, which makes for a very reasonable deal for the price.
- ✓ PREMIUM STRENGTH ORGANIC ASHWAGANDHA - Our 1300mg HIGH STRENGTH Ashwagandha is one of the most potent Ashwagandha root powder supplements on the market. We add black pepper extract which is crucial to aid absorption which most regular Ashwagandha supplements ignore. Our capsules are highly concentrated with Ashwagandha’s active ingredient ‘withanolides’ to ensure that you benefit from the full efficacy of this wonderous herb.
- ✓ 50% MORE CAPSULES & NATURAL ANXIETY RELIEF - All natural Indian Ashwagandha has been used for in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries to provide stress relief. Our Ashwagandha root powder extract provides maximum Cortisol Relief, Adrenal Support and helps your Thyroid levels maintain balance. Perfect for anyone who has a tendency to feel overwhelmed, tired and easily irritated. We also offer 50% capsules than our nearest competitor for the same price!
- ✓ ALL VEGAN CAPSULES - Our Ashwagandha capsules are 100% vegan and vegetarian friendly! FREE FROM MAGNESIUM STEARATE. We never add any harmful artificial ingredients or preservatives. Our capsules are also free of allergens such as egg, milk, lactose, soya, gluten, wheat and peanuts.
- ✓ 100% PEACE OF MIND WITH USA MADE SUPPLEMENT - No need to risk your health with cheap imported supplements. Purely Holistic Ashwagandha supplement is produced right here in the USA. Our Organic Ashwagandha with Black Pepper is a non GMO formula. All our products are manufactured adhering to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) giving you 100% peace of mind.
- ✔ NO RISK GUARANTEE - The unbeatable Purely Holistic Promise is a 'no questions asked money back guarantee' allowing you to improve your health with ZERO risk. If you don't like our Ashwagandha supplement (YOU WILL!) simply ask for a refund. Our Organic Ashwagandha Root Powder in Vegan Capsules is suitable for many categories: adrenal fatigue supplements anxiety supplements herbal supplements anti anxiety supplements anxiety supplement mood enhancer mood support stress supplements
For a simple, straight-forward supplement with just a single active ingredient, Pure Encapsulations Ashwagandha is a great option.
It contains 500mg of ashwagandha extract and that’s it as far as active ingredients go. It has capsules made of hypoallergenic plant fiber (cellulose), so they’re vegetarian/vegan-friendly.
A serving of this supplement is just one capsule and a bottle comes with 60.
- Cognitive Function: Ashwagandha has been shown to moderate occasional stress, enhance memory and support healthy cognitive function.*
- Supports Overall Health: Withanolides are key constituents of this herb and play an important role in ashwagandha's overall ability to promote physical and mental health*
- Occasional Stress Support: Helps to counteract the effects of occasional stress.*
- Pure Ingredients: Pure Encapsulations manufactures a line of hypoallergenic, research-based dietary supplements. Products are meticulously formulated using pure ingredients designed to deliver predictable results for the benefit of all patients, even the most sensitive.*
- Free From: Pure Encapsulations products are free from wheat, gluten, egg, peanuts, magnesium stearate, hydrogenated fat, artificial sweeteners and colors, and other unnecessary excipients. Any product containing ingredients derived from allergens, such as soy, dairy or shellfish is clearly labeled. *These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Now Supplements Ashwagandha is the least potent of the supplements on our list here but that can be a good thing for certain people and it’s also the most affordable option.
This supplement contains 450mg of ashwagandha extract.
A serving size is one capsule and a bottle contains 90. It is not manufactured with yeast, wheat, gluten, soy, milk, egg, fish, or tree nut ingredients, but is manufactured in a GMP facility where these ingredients may be found in other products.
- Ayurvedic adaptogen: Ashwagandha is used as a general tonic and adaptogen, helping the body adapt to temporary normal stress. Now Ashwagandha is a standardized extract (450 milligrams per serving). Take 1 capsule 2 to 3 times daily.
- Free radical scavenger/Immune system support: Preliminary data suggest that Ashwagandha supports a healthy immune system.
- Certifications/classifications: Non-GMO, kosher, dairy free, egg free, nut free, soy free, vegan/vegetarian, made without gluten
- GMP quality assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the NOW manufacturing process has been examined, including our laboratory/testing methods (for stability, potency, and product formulation).
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968
NaturaLife Labs Organic Ashwagandha is a unique take on ashwagandha supplements and has a high potency.
This supplement contains two active ingredients: 1,500mg of organic ashwagandha powder and ashwagandha root extract. Ashwagandha root extract has been shown to be more effective in passing off health benefits than ashwagandha powder.
It also contains 8mg of black pepper extract for better absorption.
It does not contain GMO’s, fillers, preservatives, stearates, artificial ingredients, binders, dioxides, lactose, corn, gluten, soy, sugar, shellfish, milk, egg, or peanuts.
Based on the label, a serving size is 3 capsules and a bottle contains 33 servings, but one or two capsules per day is going to be effective for most people.
Potential Health Benefits of Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha is a very healthy herb with medicinal properties and a wide range of health benefits.
Some of the potential health benefits of ashwagandha may include:
It’s an Anti-Inflammatory
Several studies have shown that ashwagandha reduces inflammation in animals. (1) (2) (3)
More studies in humans are warranted.
It May Improve Mental Health
There are a number of studies that indicate that ashwagandha can improve mental health in multiple ways.
Several studies in humans suggest ashwagandha reduced symptoms of anxiety and stress. (4) (5) (6)
It May Reduce Blood Sugar
Studies indicate that ashwagandha lowers blood sugar. (7) (8) (9) (10)
It May Lower Cholesterol
In some studies, ashwagandha has lowered the markers of cholesterol. (11) (12) (13) (14)
It May Fight Against Cancer Cells
In test tube studies, ashwagandha promotes apoptosis. Apoptosis is a process that targets and kills cancer cells. (15) Research also indicates that ashwagandha promotes a process that kills cancer cells but doesn’t harm normal cells. (16)
May Improve Brain Function
Feel like your brain isn’t always working at it’s finest? Ashwagandha could give you a little extra boost of brain power.
Some studies suggest that an ashwagandha supplement could help improve your memory, task performance, attention, and reaction time. (17) (18)
May Increase Strength
Some studies suggest that ashwagandha may increase strength, promote muscle gains, and improve body composition. (19) (20) (21)
How We Choose the Best Supplements
The ashwagandha supplements we chose to include here only contain ashwagandha as their only real active ingredient, as it’s difficult to know which ingredient benefited you when a supplement contains a blend. We did try and include supplements that contain BioPerine® or black pepper extract, as it improves the absorption of ashwagandha, making it more effective.
We chose to compose our top ashwagandha picks with supplements that come in pill form, specifically with vegetarian capsules. We’d prefer our supplements not to contain animal products and by not having them the supplement can be taken by more people.
Ashwagandha powder is an option as well but is not as convenient to take and many ashwagandha powder supplements contain just the root powder rather than ashwagandha extract. The extract from ashwagandha is more potent and effective.
To the extent possible, we avoided including supplements that contain unnecessary additives and fillers. We looked for supplements that are non-GMO, manufactured in certified GMP (good manufacturing practices) facilities, and don’t contain allergens.
While there are a lot of ashwagandha supplements on the market to choose from, based on our research and testing we’ve concluded that these are the best ashwagandha supplements currently available.
Each of these supplements meets our criteria for what makes a good supplement. For the majority of people though, our top recommendation is DailyNutra KSM-66 Ashwagandha. It contains an ideal dose, comes with BioPerine® for better absorption, and is vegan/vegetarian-friendly.
If you have an experience with one of these supplements or ashwagandha supplements in general, we’d love to hear from you in the comments section.Sources