Rhodiola rosea has been used for centuries in traditional medicine with the intention of promoting aspects of health such as boosting energy, having more mental focus, improving exercise performance, and more.
Later in this article we’ll take a look at those claims and see whether they hold up or not.
But first, you’ll find our top picks for the best rhodiola rosea supplements currently available on the market.
Coming in as the number one best rhodiola rosea supplement on our list, we have Gaia Herbs’ Rhodiola Rosea.
This supplement contains 120mg of rhodiola rosea root extract with 6mg of rosavins. Rosavins are compounds within rhodiola rosea thought to be responsible for much of the plant’s health benefits.
If you compare this supplement to other options on the market, you may assume that this supplement is very low potency. However, studies have found that rhodiola rosea is effective in doses as low as 50mg.
This supplement is made with vegan capsules and it’s free of soy and gluten.
- PLANT BASED SUPPLEMENT: An herbal supplement used to support healthy stamina so you can go the distance. Rhodiola Rosea is perfect for physically active adults looking to help their body cope with stress in order to handle life's challenges.
- ADRENAL GLAND SUPPORT: This single herb helps restore balance to overworked adrenal glands to encourage a healthy response to physical, emotional and mental stress.
- ADAPTOGENIC HERB: Rhodiola Rosea supports the body's ability to respond to various stresses while optimizing energy and focus to keep you going throughout the day.
- MADE AT THE GAIA CERTIFIED ORGANIC FARM: We are committed to using only non-GMO ingredients. Our products are purity tested and do not contain gluten, soy, dairy, meat, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, yeast or eggs.
- 60 DAY SUPPLY: Includes 1 (120 Count) Gaia Herbs Rhodiola Rosea Herbal Supplement. We suggest taking 1 capsule two times daily between meals.
Double Wood Supplements Rhodiola Rosea Extract contains 500mg of rhodiola rosea. A great thing about this supplement is that a serving size is just one capsule and a bottle contains 120, making for a very good value for the price.
This supplement comes in veggie capsules, is manufactured in an FDA-inspected facility in the USA, is third-party tested, and is standardized to 3% salidrosides. It’s also organic, vegan, gluten-free, and non-GMO.
- Max Salidrioside content of 3%; Double Wood’s Rhodiola extract contains 3% of the active ingredient which is the Salidrosides; Most Rhodiola extracts contain 1% or less Salidrosides s Salidrosides.
- Vegan, Gluten Free and Non gmo; Double Wood’s Rhodiola extract is manufactured to be the purest and most natural extract money can buy
- Made in the USA and Tested for Purity; Our Rhodiola Supplement is manufactured right here in New York; Testing is available upon request
- Helps calm and promotes mental energy; Rhodiola is an adaptogen compound that promotes mental / physical energy levels; Studies show it may also have a calming effect
- Become your best self; Rhodiola promotes physical and mental energy levels so you can think your best and be your best
BulkSupplements Rhodiola Extract is a bit different from our other top picks here in that it comes in powder form rather than pills/capsules. A serving of this supplement is 200mg, which contains 3% salidroside.
It’s free of sugar, soy, dairy, yeast, gluten, or additives.
It’s a nice option to have if you prefer not to take supplements in pill form. We did find it to be effective, but it doesn’t have the best taste so we do recommend mixing it with something strong to counteract that.
- May promote healthy mood*
- May aid with exercise endurance*
- May support healthy metabolic function*
Toniq Rhodiola contains 600mg of rhodiola rosea root extract per serving. However, a serving is two capsules and taking one is probably going to be enough for many people.
This supplement is organic, manufactured in a certified GMP facility, is made with vegetable capsules, and Toniq offers a lifetime guarantee.
- The Highly Active Form of Rhodiola - Each serving of Toniiq Rhodiola contains 600mg of the highest quality rhodiola powder – ethically sourced, grown and cultivated using an extraction process to ensure a 5% salidroside content (other rhodiola extracts contain 1% or less). Studies suggest that salidroside is considered the more powerful active component in Rhodiola rosea, more so than rosavin.*
- More Salidroside = More Value - With at least 3X the amount of salidroside found in other brands, with Toniiq Rhodiola you are getting one of the highest strength rhodiola supplements available.
- Setting a New Standard for Purity - To ensure that you are getting the highest quality rhodiola supplement pills, each batch is tested for quality and purity both during and after manufacturing.
- Quality, First, and Foremost - Toniiq products are produced in a GMP-certified and NSF-approved state-of-the-art manufacturing facility right here in the USA.
- Each Batch is Individually Tested - We test each batch both ourselves and through a third-party independent laboratory to ensure our ingredients contain the correct standardized level of purity and active ingredients. We also test each batch for any possible additives, contaminants, and impurities to ensure the highest level of quality.
Now Rhodiola Rosea contains 500mg of rhodiola extract standardized to 3% total rosavins and 1% salidroside. It’s made with vegetable capsules.
It is not manufactured with wheat, gluten, soy, milk, egg, fish, shellfish, or tree nut ingredients, but it is manufactured in a facility that processes other products that contain these allergens.
- Adaptogenic Herb
- 3% Standardized Extract
- Helps body to adapt to stress
- A Dietary Supplement
- Vegetarian Formula
Rhodiola Rosea Health Benefits—Why Take a Rhodiola Rosea Supplement?
Rhodiola rosea has been used for centuries in traditional medicine for a variety of uses. In this section, you’ll find the potential health benefits of rhodiola rosea that are backed by some scientific evidence.
Rhodiola Rosea May Help Reduce Stress
Rhodiola is considered an adaptogen, which are plants and herbs thought by some to relieve stress.
Much remains to be learned about rhodiola rosea, but a small number of human studies suggest that this herb may help to combat stress.
A 2012 study in 101 participants found that 400mg a day of rhodiola rosea over a 4-week period was “safe and effective in improving life-stress symptoms to a clinically relevant degree”. (1)
Another study in 118 adult patients found that rhodiola rosea alleviated stress-related burnout. (2)
It May Improve Symptoms of Depression
Rhodiola rosea is not a substitute for traditional depression medication and you should consult with your doctor before taking it but some study results suggest that it may be beneficial in people with depression.
In one clinical trial, study participants took either 340mg, 680mg, or placebo daily. The two groups who took rhodiola rosea saw significant improvements in depression, insomnia, and emotional stability. (3) The group who took placebo did not see improvements.
In another study, modest improvements were seen in depression in a group of subjects who took rhodiola rosea. Rhodiola rosea wasn’t as effective compared to sertraline, a prescription antidepressant medication, but it was better tolerated and had less side effects. (4)
It May Fight Fatigue
If you feel tired all the time, rhodioloa rosea may be able to help.
A 2009 study found that rhodiola rosea had an anti-fatigue effect, particularly the ability to concentrate, in participants who took it. (5)
Another study found that rhodiola rosea may be an effective treatment for chronic fatigue and that it had few side effects. (6)
It May Boost Exercise Performance
Rhodiola rosea may help improve exercise performance, likely by reducing perceived exertion, or how hard you feel like your body is working. (7)
One study found that rhodiola rosea improved performance on a cycling test. (8)
Another study in cyclists found that rhodiola rosea improved endurance exercise performance. (9)
It May Improve Cognitive Function
Some studies indicate that rhodiola rosea may provide a boost to brain function, although more research is needed.
One of those studies was done in physicians who worked night duty. The study found that rhodiola rosea may be able to reduce fatigue under stressful situations. No side effects were reported. (10)
A study in students during a stressful examination period found favorable results as well. (11)
How We Chose the Best Rhodiola Rosea Supplements
When determining the best supplements, we always prioritize a product’s formula. We look for supplements that contain a dosage that’s effective but not too strong to the point where it could be harmful.
In the case of rhodiola rosea supplements, that meant taking a look at the studies to find what an effective dose is and how much is considered safe.
We also look for supplements that are third-party tested, manufactured in GMP facilities, and are vegan/vegetarian.
There are plenty of good rhodiola rosea supplements out there, but our pick for the absolute best rhodiola rosea supplement is Gaia Herbs’ Rhodiola Rosea.
This supplement contains enough rhodiola rosea root extract to be effective, but not more than necessary and not too much to the point where it could be harmful. It’s also nice that a serving is just one capsule. It’s also gluten-free, soy-free, and vegan/vegetarian-friendly.
If you’re looking for something more potent, there are other options here. If you’re looking for a supplement that comes in something other than pill form, a supplement like BulkSupplements Rhodiola Extract is worth trying.Sources