Supplement companies invest a lot of money into marketing their products. Brands that sell biotin supplements are no different and as a result, many people have come to believe that biotin will solve all their hair, skin, and nails problems.
However, what many consumers don’t realize is that biotin deficiency is rare and that if you don’t have a biotin deficiency then supplementing with it won’t improve your health.
That being said, if you DO have a biotin deficiency, you may experience a number of adverse side effects in your hair, skin, nails, and more.
For people with a biotin deficiency, Sports Research 2,500 mcg Biotin is worth considering in your search for the right biotin supplement. This product made our top 5 picks for biotin supplements.
Sports Research Biotin Ingredients
- 2,500 mcg of biotin (as d-biotin USP)
- Organic virgin coconut oil
- Non-GMO rice bran wax
- Vegetarian soft gel (made of tapioca starch, kosher vegetable glycerin, and purified water)
Reasons for Taking a Biotin Supplement
The active ingredient in this supplement is essentially just biotin obviously. There may be some additional health benefits from the organic virgin coconut oil, but it’s likely such a small amount that its effects would are unclear.
In regards to the biotin though, let’s take a look at what the studies say:
- A 2012 double-blind, placebo-controlled study monitored the results of an oral supplement containing biotin in women with self-described thinning hair. After checking in with the participants at 90 and 180 days, researchers
noted“significantly increased hair growth”. (1)
- In 2015 a follow-up study was conducted by the same researcher and studies the effects of a marine protein supplement (MPS) on hair growth in women with temporary thinning hair. This study found similar results to the first: the subjects who were treated with the MPS saw a “significant increase in the number of terminal hairs within the target area which was significantly greater than placebo”. (2) Both of these studies are small and more research is needed to confirm these findings.
- A study conducted in Switzerland studied the effects of biotin on nail thickness in 44 participants. Researchers found that 63% of the participants showed clinical improvement. 37% saw no improvement. (3) More research is needed.
- There is ample evidence from multiple studies indicating that biotin is important during pregnancy and that pregnant women need more of it. (4) (5) (6) (7)
- Biotin deficiency is linked to several skin conditions. (8) (9) (10) (11) However, if you’re not deficient in biotin, it’s unlikely to improve the health/appearance of your skin.
When and How Much to Take
This supplement contains 2,500 mcg of biotin. There is no daily value for biotin, but the adequate intake for this essential nutrient is 30 mcg for adults.
This is significantly more than necessary and we’d prefer there to be more options on the market for biotin supplements that have more reasonable dosages. That said, many of the studies done on biotin supplementation have been done at high doses and supplement manufacturers like Sports Research most likely base their dosages based on those findings.
Additionally, there is no evidence that high levels of biotin
Essentially, it’s safe to take at any of the levels that you’ll find in biotin supplements. However, there’s still no reason to take an excessive amount, as at some point you’ll see diminishing returns on its health benefits. That’s why we recommend taking this supplement every week, two weeks, or even monthly.
Other Potencies Available
Although biotin deficiency is rare it does occur in some people and it can cause a number of adverse effects. Supplementing with biotin can alleviate these symptoms and prevent them from recurring.
This supplement provides you with more than enough biotin to address any biotin deficiency in a well-formulated (albeit more potent than necessary) and reasonably -priced package.
There are probably some minor health benefits provided by the coconut oil as well.
Lastly, this supplement is made with vegetarian capsules, which means it’s suitable for vegans and vegetarians, which we always like to see in supplements.Sources