Nature’s Bounty 10,000 mcg Biotin is a high-dose biotin supplement.
If you have the signs of biotin deficiency or want to improve the health and appearance of your hair, skin, and nails, this supplement may be worth considering.
In this article, we talk about this product’s ingredients, potential health benefits, and whether or not it’s right for you.
There is one active ingredient in this product:
- 10,000 mcg of biotin (as d-biotin). This is 3,333% of the daily value.
It also contains:
- Soybean oil
- Vegetable glycerin
- Yellow beeswax
- Titanium dioxide color
- BIOTIN 10,000 MCG: Nature's Bounty's Biotin supplement contains 10,000 mcg rapid release softgels to help support healthy hair, skin and nails, and energy metabolism. Biotin is part of the family of B vitamins and supports fat metabolism
- HAIR, SKIN AND NAILS: Support healthy hair, skin & nails with a biotin supplement from Nature's Bounty*. A water soluble vitamin found in foods associated with a healthy diet, like vegetables & oatmeal, Biotin helps aid the conversion of food into energy
- NATURE'S BOUNTY VITAMINS: Whether you're looking for a single vitamin, overall wellness support, or specific benefits we're here to help support your health goals.* Our vitamins & multi vitamins come in a variety of forms, including chewable & gummies
- NATURE'S BOUNTY FOR A HEALTHY LIFE: At Nature's Bounty, we want to help you maintain wellness at every stage of life & carry a range of vitamins & supplements including prenatal vitamins, mood support, joint support & supplements for healthy aging
- GUARANTEED QUALITY: Nature's Bounty nutritional supplements meet high quality standards. Try them if you've enjoyed supplements from Garden of Life, Vitafusion, Rainbow Light, Centrum, Alive, Solgar, Nordic Naturals, or Nature Made
Potential Health Benefits
As you can see, at 3,333% of the daily value of biotin, this is a very potent supplement and it does not contain any other active ingredients.
Biotin is an essential nutrient and B vitamin. Biotin is found in both plant and animal sources, although it is found in higher concentrations in meat.
Biotin deficiency is associated with multiple side effects, including skin rashes, brittle nails, and hair loss. Because of this, supplement companies market biotin supplements heavily as a remedy for fixing these issues.
However, what they don’t tell you is that biotin deficiency is rare and that if you’re not deficient in it, supplementing with it is unlikely to improve the appearance of your hair, skin, and nails.
Here is some of the relevant research:
- Biotin is given to horses and pigs to help heal hoof abnormalities. This could mean a similar effect might happen in people, but what’s seen in animal studies doesn’t always apply to human beings in clinical studies. (1)
- In one study, researchers evaluated biotin’s effects on nail thickness. Among the group in the study (8 women out of a total of 32 in the study) with brittle nails, participants saw a 25% increase in nail thickness. (1)
- Another study that had its participants take 2,500 mcg of biotin daily and found that 91% of the participants who could be evaluated saw “definite improvement with firmer and harder fingernails”. (2) This study was done over a 5.5 month period on average.
- A Swiss study found that 63% of its participants (all suffering from brittle nails) who could be evaluated showed clinical improvement in their nail plate thickness.
- There were two studies done on biotin and its effects on hair health. Improvements were seen after biotin supplementation, but keep in mind these studies were done in infants with hair conditions. (3) (4) More studies are needed.
- There were also two studies done on biotin and its effects on the skin, which had results that indicated biotin improved skin conditions. These studies, too, however, were only done in infants with skin conditions. More evidence is needed. (5) (6)
Note that these studies did show promising results in favor of biotin supplementation, but they were small. More larger scale studies are needed to confirm these findings.
The dosage for this supplement is one soft gel, meaning this is a very potent biotin supplement.
When to Take It
We recommend taking these with a meal and glass of water. These are made with soft gels, which can cause discomfort if you have a sensitive stomach. Taking them with a meal and drink can help avoid that.
|Very potent, which could be a good thing for those with a severe biotin deficiency.||May be too high of a dose for people who don’t have a biotin deficiency.|
|Manufactured by a reputable brand.||Contains gelatin, which is made from animal products, meaning it’s not suitable for vegans|
|May improve the health/appearance of the hair, skin, and nails.||Contains soy|
|Biotin is involved in important processes in the body, like helping convert food into energy.|
If you’re looking for a high dose biotin supplement, Nature’s Bounty 10,000 mcg Biotin is definitely a product worth having a look at. We think a dose this high is much more than necessary for most people because biotin deficiency is rare, but if you’re set on this product, at least you have the assurance that biotin is not known to be toxic at high amounts.
As with any health supplement that you add to your diet, it’s best to speak with your doctor about it.Sources