If you have a child with digestive issues, you probably already know by now:
Seeing your child suffer through painful constipation/diarrhea can be heart breaking.
Well, as it turns out, many parents have found that a fiber supplement improved their child’s digestion.
And in this article, we’re going to recommend our picks for the best fiber supplements for kids so that your child can get relief from painful and uncomfortable indegestion.
Is Your Kid Getting Enough Fiber?
You’ve heard of fiber before, but do you know exactly what it is and why it’s important for your kids?
Fiber is a certain type of carbohydrate that isn’t digested. Fiber is usually found in grains, vegetables and plants.
There are two types of fiber: soluble and insoluble.
The difference between the two is that soluble fiber dissolves in water and insoluble fiber does not.
Soluble fiber helps to form solid stools. Insoluble fiber contributes to waste moving faster through the body.
According to kidshealth.org, kids need to get between 19 and 31 grams of fiber per day.
Getting Fiber Naturally from Food
Fiber supplements can help your child get enough fiber if they’re not getting enough from their diet.
However, it’s important for your child to get as much fiber from food as possible because fiber supplements don’t provide the other nutrients that foods high in fiber have.
A fiber supplement only makes sense to bridge the gap when your child isn’t getting enough from food.
Some foods high in fiber that you can try to work into your kids’ diet include:
- Sweet corn
- Brussels sprouts
- Whole wheat spaghetti
- Bran flakes
- Whole wheat bread
- Brown rice
- Black beans
If your child is experiencing constipation/diarrhea and you’ve tried increasing foods high in fiber in their diet, a fiber supplement may be worth considering. Just be sure to check with your doctor first.
1) Best Overall Fiber Supplement for Kids: Culturelle Kids Regularity Probiotic & Fiber Dietary Supplement
If you’re looking for a fiber supplement, odds are it’s because your child has been experiencing digestive issues. When it comes to digestive health, there’s more to it than just fiber.
A major part of proper digestion is having not just fiber but the good type of bacteria that live in our gut as well.
That’s where this supplement comes in: it contains both fiber and a probiotic.
- 3.5 grams of dietary fiber
- 2.5 billion CFUs of the probiotic lactobacillus rhamnosus gg
The fiber in this supplement works to form more consistent stools while also functioning as a prebiotic, which allows good bacteria to flourish in the digestive tract.
This supplement comes as a flavorless powder. It mixes very well into foods/drinks such as apple sauce, apple juice, yogurt, chocolate milk, or a shake.
- Contains 3.5 grams of fiber in a serving (a serving is one individual packet)
- Has 2.5 billion CFUs of the probiotic
lactobacillus rhamnosusgg (good for digestion and a healthy gut)
- Promotes regularity
- Kids don’t notice a difference in taste when mixed with a drink or food
- Can alleviate constipation/diarrhea
- Can have a serious positive impact on a child’s physical health and mental well-being
- Doesn’t dissolve all the way and some kids will notice the thicker consistency
- Some parents report that it can cause side effects in their children, notably: cramping/tummy aches/gas
Active Ingredient Quality:
Average Consumer Rating:
- FROM THE #1 PEDIATRICIAN RECOMMENDED PROBIOTIC BRAND, Culturelle Kids Regularity Probiotic & Fiber Packets provide a safe, gentle and drug-free way to help restore regularity and keep kids’ digestive systems running smoothly.*
- NATURALLY SOURCED INGREDIENTS. Contains a unique blend of naturally sourced ingredients developed just for kids’ digestive systems. Flavorless packets; mix into cool food or beverage to serve. Great mixed with applesauce or yogurt.No Peanuts
- WITH THE #1 CLINICALLY STUDIED PROBIOTIC STRAIN IN KIDS, 2.5 billion CFU’s of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG), to balance intestinal bacteria and minimize discomfort while helping get your child’s digestive system back on track.*
- 3.5 GRAMS OF DIETARY FIBER, the equivalent of one small apple, sourced from whole fruit kiwi and inulin – a prebiotic vegetable fiber from chicory root.
- GENTLE ON A CHILD’S DIGESTIVE SYSTEM. Free of the following: gluten, dairy, and sugar. No harsh stimulants. Best for toddlers and children age 1+, take 1 packet up to three times daily.
If you’ve tried to get more fiber into your child’s diet through food or some other type of supplement, you may have come across some roadblocks.
Many kids are picky eaters and don’t like the types of foods that are high in fiber. Some kids don’t like the thick consistency of powder fiber supplements like you get with Culturelle Kids.
But one thing that most kids love are gummies.
With L’il Critters Fiber Gummy Bears you get a fiber supplement with a taste that kids love.
These gummy supplements contain 3 grams of soluble fiber.
A serving size is just two gummies and a bottle contains forty-five servings.
It uses natural flavors and is gluten-free.
- Improves digestion
- Comes in gummy form
- Tastes great
- No sugar/high fructose corn syrup
- No synthetic colors
- Contains xylitol, which is better than sugar (especially for the teeth) but is still a sweetener
- Hard, chewy texture
- Can arrive melted if you order them online during the hot summer months
- Can cause gas
Active Ingredient Quality:
Average Consumer Rating:
- No high fructose corn syrup
- No synthetic (FD&C) dyes
- Award Winning Taste
- During the summer months products may arrive warm but Amazon stores and ships products in accordance with manufacturers' recommendations, when provided.
If you do a search for fiber supplements for kids, you’ll find that there’s not a whole lot of product variety out there.
We actually see that as a good thing in this case because these two supplements listed here are high-quality products and you don’t want to give your kids a supplement from an untrustworthy brand.
It also makes it easier to decide on which supplement to pick rather than being overwhelmed by too many options.
You can’t go wrong with either Culturelle Kids Regularity Probiotic & Fiber Dietary Supplement or L’il Critters Fiber Gummy Bears.
Get Culturelle Kids if your kids don’t have any problems getting it down in their favorite drink. If your kids need something that resembles candy in order to get them to take it, L’il Critters Fiber Gummy Bears is a great option as well.